Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Besos

The Empire State Building. Well-known from movies like An Affair to Remember, and Sleepless in Seattle. Every girls dream . . . to meet the man they love on top of the Empire State Building, haha!

So, of course, Cami and I had joked about it on our way to the top. There were lots of people wandering around, looking out at the sites from the tallest building in New York City! Of course, people are taking pictures, and it's inevitable that with all those pictures being taken, you could end up in someone else's picture. But just the chance wasn't good enough for Cami, she leaned over into this man's picture and gave a cheesy, double thumbs-up grin. Of course, she moved before the photo was taken. He found it entertaining, and took another picture with her in it. Of course, Cami had to have a picture with him too!

He didn't speak English, I'm pretty certain he was from a Spanish speaking country. Or that's my guess. In farewell, he extended his hand to Cami, and leaned forward with his cheek. Now, those of you that are familiar with the customs of many Spanish speaking countries, in greeting they put their cheeks together on one side and both kind of kiss the air, and then the same on the other side. When I lived in Spain this was the preferred greeting for friends. So, when he leaned forward with his cheek, I'm sure that is what he was expecting. But Cami had no such expectations. She zoomed in for the kill and kissed him straight on, smack dab on the cheek. He chuckled, I laughed, and Cami turned red. In between spells of laughter, and as we moved away, I explained to her the custom, which only embarrassed her more. Way to go Cami! She can now say she has kissed a boy on top of the Empire State Building - every girls dream :)

No comments: