I love Sundays! Today was no different. We had a Regional Conference, that was uplifting and inspiring. We were reminded to fortify ourselves with the basics to draw closer to the Lord. To narrow the gap between knowing something, and doing or becoming something. It's not enough to know we love someone, we must show it. It's not enough to bear our testimony, we must live it. It was great, I was inspired to do better and be better!
After going to a fireside about choosing worthy music to fill our lives, I had the opportunity of going with Katie to her Newbold family home evening. I love getting the opportunity to observe the family traditions of others, to see their interactions and the way they communicate and love each other. I'm a people watcher and I could sit and watch and observe and never be bored!
The family home evening was great! The lesson was about being thankful. Be thankful for our talents - a few of the family shared their musical talents - be thankful for the protection we are given - Katie's family was recently in an accident in which they were protected - be thankful for the gospel and for families and many other things. I don't exactly recall everything that was said, but I do remember just the feeling of unity. I love it! Families are wonderful things.
As I sat there, and her grandparents gave the lesson, I thought, what a wonderful tradition. What an opportunity that would be as a grandparent to gather around your family and encourage and uplift them. Grandparents can sometimes say things that our parents can't say to us as easily, at least sometimes we don't listen as readily to our parents. Grandparents and extended family can be such a strength. I know mine are!
It was fun to watch Katie with her family. One cousin kept saying over and over. I love Katie! She would talk really close to Katie's face and was enthralled when she put her face on Katie's cheek and could hear her chewing :) They reminisced about when her cousin was younger and Katie would babysit, and the things they had done together. It all reminded me of the influence and friendship that I have and can develop with my family, and made me want to put even more effort into being a better sister, daughter, cousin, niece, grand-daughter and aunt.
Family is wonderful. We can always make it even better, too. Isn't it about . . . time ;)?
No comments:
Post a Comment