It's a small world. And my story all revolves around breakdancing!
So, today I was talking to a friend, Tyson Stevens. He recently moved into our branch but is already leaving us! He has a job in Provo, so he moved today. Our friendship is still in the getting to know you stage, so I was asking him questions about where he went to school, where he grew up, how many in his family; you know, the getting to know you questions you always go through. He was talking about himself and mentioned that he is a breakdancer. I remembered that he had gone to school at BYU in both Utah and Idaho. Hmmm. A thought popped into my head. Did you breakdance while at BYU? I asked. Yes he had. By chance do you know a girl named Stephanie, formerly Rekow, but I couldn't remember her married name. His eyes lit up and he said, "Pickup?!!"
Stephanie Rekow Pickup is my second cousin. When we were young we would all play together, but then her family moved to Spain. When I got home from my mission, I was a bit stir crazy, and I went to live with her family in Girona, Spain. While I was there, Stephanie was was still at school in the United States with her grandmother, so I didn't get to spend a lot of time with her, but I spent a great 3 months with her family! She stayed in the U.S. for college at BYU, and little less than a year ago we received an invitation to her wedding. My parents and I were priveleged to attend the sealing in the Salt Lake Temple. I remember visiting her while she was in the states. She's beautiful, talented, very flexible and very shy. At the wedding I learned that she breakdances and that her husband was a breakdancer, too. They had breakdancers at their reception.
Hence, my questions to Tyson. So for Tyson's side of the story. His best friend while in Provo was the same Pickup that married Stephanie. He actually was there when they first met! She saw them breakdancing and quietly told them she was a breakdancer too, while she was in Spain, but hadn't done much since she'd been in the states. Tyson was there at their sealing in the temple too! He had been with the Pickup side of the family! While in Provo, Tyson had lived with the Pickup boy, and his friends in what they called the Pickup Place. Weird! We had been in the same place, probably seen each other, and here we were friends, finding out about it a year later. But the story doesn't even end there!
So tonight, I went to Institute with Katie and Heather. On the way home I was telling them about my conversation with Tyson, and I mentioned the Pickup Place. Katie got all excited! She had lived next door to the Pickup Place while she was living in Provo going to school! Another twist to the story. She ended up talking to Tyson on the phone. They had been there around the same time, and had probably met each other while there. Katie remembered "a bunch of breakdancers" moving in at one time, and Tyson was one of those! They had fun talking about the people they both knew.
It really is a small world!
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
It's a Small World
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love this small world we live in!! We are all connected one way or another, especially in this state we live in. It makes me wish I could talk to everyone on a deeper level, because think of all the people we could have these amazing connections with.
Post a Comment