Friday, May 30, 2008

Our Family Trip





For the first time, in a long time, our family took an official family trip. Oh yeah. Not to say we haven't gone places together, but this was official, and it was different than the yearly family reunions in Logan and Idaho. PLUS it was in New York!!! Since Michael and Shannon are living there, we figured we better make the trip out before they move. Everyone at home was able to come - Mom, Dad, Camille, Jonathan and I. Sadly, Matt and Becca and their family weren't able to make it, and of course, Greg is on a mission - we missed having them!

There is a lot to see in New York! The Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Brooklyn Bridge, the Empire State Building, a bunch of cool museums, Broadway, Times Square, Central Park, and more! We spent the first 4 days in Manhattan, and then drove to Palmyra for the remainder of our trip.




In the movies, New York is always the beautiful, happening city. I can't even begin to list all the movies placed there. Okay, so I can list a few - Kate and Leopold, 13 going on 30, You've Got Mail, and I know there are tons more! It is a very happening city. There are always people moving about, and things going on. As for beautiful, it does have it's beauties, but it is also dirtier than I ever imagined. It seems everyone owns a dog. Dogs are their children. Dogs are everywhere. And being a large city, there isn't a lot of area for dogs to do their business. So they just do it on the sidewalk. Everywhere. There are a lot of responsible dog owners, such as the girl I saw walking her dog, the dog stopped and squatted to do his duty, and the owner stooped down with a plastic bag, holding it out, catching the dog's poop as it fell - now that dog has certainly trained its owner! But there are also dog owners that aren't so responsible, and there is a lot of junk on the ground, if you know what I mean.

Despite that, I loved New York City! I love that you don't have to own a car. You can walk or take the subway or bus and get everywhere pretty conveniently. We got our Metro Passes and cruised around! I love all the history that is there, and we didn't even make it to close to everything! Our days in New York were pretty packed, going from site to site trying to get it all in. We ran a pretty tight schedule. Well it seemed pretty tight, probably because we never made it out the door by the time we had decided on. Cami and I stayed with Mike and Shannon the first night, then I went to the Hotel with Mom, Dad and Jonathan for the rest of the nights.

Our first night there, we ate at the Mansion. Can you say service? The service was amazing! The people were all so friendly and more than just our server came to talk with us and see how we were doing. The food was great too. It was just a small restaurant near Michael and Shannon's apartment that they like to eat at every week. Monday we ate at a small pizza joint, and Shannon and I had a great time people watching. Then Tuesday we ate at the Shake Shack. It was packed! We waited in line about an hour I would say! They had signs along the line showing us exercises we could do to burn off all the fat we would be eating :)


Again, I am a people watcher, and we watched an energetic 20 something girl flitting about in a cute, pink dress and welcoming all her friends to her birthday party. She was so happy and engaging with everyone she talked to! It was fun to watch, and what made it even more entertaining was when we found out she was Mormon, as she exclaimed about her big "Mormon birthday party." We joked about joining in, and the necessity for me to find a cute pink dress for my birthday in two days. We went shopping, but I never found one. It really was cute, we should have asked her where she got it :)


If you ever get the chance, I would recommend visiting New York. It really was a great time! There is a ton to do! And there are stores galore, from M&M's to Apple to Macy's, the largest Toys R' Us, not to mention all the fun smaller shops specific to New York!

No comments: